Fridays at our house means a Pizza dinner with coke (the only day of the week they get to drink coke) & Movie night with popcorn, pickles, and candy. 🙂 Today I wanted to share a recipe for Gak that we make together for a fun alternative to play dough (I hate store bought play dough! I will share why in a post coming later!). A great boredom buster on the weekends plus its great for developing fine motor skills and sensory awareness.
What you will need: (I double this recipe)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 Bottle’s White Glue-I have used Target’s store brand worked fine!
- liquid food coloring
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon borax (you can find this in the laundry aisle)
Before you make some need to know notes:
- I pour some of the cold water into the bottles of glue to get it all out.
- I microwave the 1/2 cup of hot water then add borax. It makes the dissolving part happen faster just be cautious with little ones.
- Do NOT freak out thinking you messed up the recipe when you pour the borax/water mixture into the bowl.
- Stir-just keep stirring and then get your hands in there and pull out the solids-it will come together!
- Store in a Ziploc baggie and when it starts to separate its time to throw it out.
- Caydence always seems to get this stuff smeared into her clothing and it doesn’t come out easy after it dries surprisingly. Just a tip might want younger ones to wear old cloths!
Have a great weekend and Enjoy!